A review of Stall Delay Models and their Application on Hybrid Methods
Keywords:Actuator disk, Horizantal Axis Wind Turbine, Stall delay, Hybrid method
This paper is a review on the stall delay phenomenon that Horizontal Axis Wind Turbines (HAWT) encounter under typical flow conditions and its numerical modelling. Aerodynamic performance predictions of HAWT have been often carried out through Computational Fluid Dynamics method with the combination of the concept of actuator disk i.e. hybrid method. For this purpose, the hybrid method is presented in details together with the numerical modelling of such stall delay phenomenon. Despite modern wind turbines are equipped with sophisticated control systems for avoiding stall, nevertheless, stall is still inevitable in the near root region of the rotor blade. This paper focuses on recent research development materials which have been undertaken on the stall delay phenomenon where the engineering models (stall delay models) of the literature being presented and criticized based on the predictions obtained from the NREL Phase VI wind turbine experiments.
Copyright (c) 2022 ENP Engineering Science Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Articles published under a Publisher Office user license are protected by copyright. Users may access, download, copy, translate, text and data mine the articles for non-commercial purposes provided that users:
- Cite the article using an appropriate bibliographic citation (i.e. author(s), journal, article title, volume, issue, page numbers, DOI and the link to the definitive published version)
- Maintain the integrity of the article
- Retain copyright notices and links to these terms and conditions so it is clear to other users what can and cannot be done with the article
- Ensure that, for any content in the article that is identified as belonging to a third party, any re-use complies with the copyright policies of that third party
- Any translations, for which a prior translation agreement with Publisher Office has not been established, must prominently display the statement: "This is an unofficial translation of an article that appeared in a Publisher Office publication. Publisher Office has not endorsed this translation."
This is a non commercial license where the use of published articles for commercial purposes is prohibited. Commercial purposes include:
- Copying or downloading articles, or linking to such postings, for further redistribution, sale or licensing, for a fee
- Copying, downloading or posting by a site or service that incorporates advertising with such content
- The inclusion or incorporation of article content in other works or services (other than normal quotations with an appropriate citation) that is then available for sale or licensing, for a fee
- Use of articles or article content (other than normal quotations with appropriate citation) by for-profit organizations for promotional purposes, whether for a fee or otherwise.
- Use for the purposes of monetary reward by means of sale, resale, license, loan, transfer or other form of commercial exploitation.