Design of a Compact UWB-MIMO Antenna with Isolation Enhancement through Extended Elliptical Ground Plane
Keywords:UWB, Antenna array decoupling, MIMO systems, Elliptical Ground Plane
This paper deals with the design of a Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) antenna for UWB applications. It is composed of two identical radiating elements (parallel monopoles) symmetrically arranged on a FR-4 substrate. The monopoles are closely spaced (about 0.2 Lambda, center to center). A decoupling mechanism based on vertical extension of the Ground plane with elliptical edges (stub) allows to achieve high isolation (>20 dB). Further, the designed system presents good diversity performance, as the obtained Envelope Correlation Coefficient is less than 0.01. The antenna array is compact (36x30 mm2), with ultra-wide operating frequency range (2.6 to 10.8 GHz). Simulations and measurements demonstrate good agreement. The obtained results make the proposed structure a good candidate for any UWB applications and modern wireless communications systems thanks to its wide frequency band, compactness and performance.
Copyright (c) 2022 ENP Engineering Science Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Articles published under a Publisher Office user license are protected by copyright. Users may access, download, copy, translate, text and data mine the articles for non-commercial purposes provided that users:
- Cite the article using an appropriate bibliographic citation (i.e. author(s), journal, article title, volume, issue, page numbers, DOI and the link to the definitive published version)
- Maintain the integrity of the article
- Retain copyright notices and links to these terms and conditions so it is clear to other users what can and cannot be done with the article
- Ensure that, for any content in the article that is identified as belonging to a third party, any re-use complies with the copyright policies of that third party
- Any translations, for which a prior translation agreement with Publisher Office has not been established, must prominently display the statement: "This is an unofficial translation of an article that appeared in a Publisher Office publication. Publisher Office has not endorsed this translation."
This is a non commercial license where the use of published articles for commercial purposes is prohibited. Commercial purposes include:
- Copying or downloading articles, or linking to such postings, for further redistribution, sale or licensing, for a fee
- Copying, downloading or posting by a site or service that incorporates advertising with such content
- The inclusion or incorporation of article content in other works or services (other than normal quotations with an appropriate citation) that is then available for sale or licensing, for a fee
- Use of articles or article content (other than normal quotations with appropriate citation) by for-profit organizations for promotional purposes, whether for a fee or otherwise.
- Use for the purposes of monetary reward by means of sale, resale, license, loan, transfer or other form of commercial exploitation.