Mesophilic anaerobic co-digestion of cheese whey with cow manure in batch reactor
Keywords:Cheese whey, anaerobic co-digestion, pH control, cow manure, biogas
Anaerobic digestion is a biological process that takes place under very strict operating conditions, including a pH close to neutrality. This experimental work aims to study the effect of pH control on CH4 production in mesophilic anaerobic co-digestion of cheese whey with cow manure. Two experiments were conducted in batch reactor, the first without pH adjustment and the second with pH adjustment. The results of the first co-digestion revealed an inhibition of the methanization process by acidification of the medium and accumulation of volatile fatty acids; whereas during the second co-digestion with pH adjustment by sodium bicarbonates (1M), the process was improved with methane levels (> 50%) in the biogas. The accumulated biogas volume was two times higher for the same operating time in the digester.
Copyright (c) 2022 ENP Engineering Science Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Articles published under a Publisher Office user license are protected by copyright. Users may access, download, copy, translate, text and data mine the articles for non-commercial purposes provided that users:
- Cite the article using an appropriate bibliographic citation (i.e. author(s), journal, article title, volume, issue, page numbers, DOI and the link to the definitive published version)
- Maintain the integrity of the article
- Retain copyright notices and links to these terms and conditions so it is clear to other users what can and cannot be done with the article
- Ensure that, for any content in the article that is identified as belonging to a third party, any re-use complies with the copyright policies of that third party
- Any translations, for which a prior translation agreement with Publisher Office has not been established, must prominently display the statement: "This is an unofficial translation of an article that appeared in a Publisher Office publication. Publisher Office has not endorsed this translation."
This is a non commercial license where the use of published articles for commercial purposes is prohibited. Commercial purposes include:
- Copying or downloading articles, or linking to such postings, for further redistribution, sale or licensing, for a fee
- Copying, downloading or posting by a site or service that incorporates advertising with such content
- The inclusion or incorporation of article content in other works or services (other than normal quotations with an appropriate citation) that is then available for sale or licensing, for a fee
- Use of articles or article content (other than normal quotations with appropriate citation) by for-profit organizations for promotional purposes, whether for a fee or otherwise.
- Use for the purposes of monetary reward by means of sale, resale, license, loan, transfer or other form of commercial exploitation.